I told my mom yesterday that I was going on a sugar cleanse because for all of the times that I’ve said I don’t have a sweet tooth, I suuuure have been eating a lot of sugar lately. I hear its addictive… maybe a week off the sugar – cold turkey! – is just what I need. I just ate a Reeses as I typed that.
Since clearly that hasn’t quite gotten started yet, I was craving some chocolate after dinner the other night. I had no less than nine thousand things to do between work, bills and cleaning… but instead, I got my Paula on and decided to bake. I remembered reading that you could replace half of the butter in baked goods with half as much Greek yogurt, so to ease my guilt of going on a baking binge (for myself) at 8pm on a Tuesday, I went this route.
Since I ate oh, five that night and the remainders were gone from the office by 11am the next day, I decided they were good enough to share!
*Please excuse my sad excuse for cell-phone food photography, especially as you’re all used to my sissy’s amazing pictures! These will improve soon if for no reason other than Daylight Savings Time. Yay, natural light! 🙂
Chocolate Cherry Greek Yogurt Cookies
Adapted from Martha Stewart’s Double Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cherry flavored Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat together sugar, eggs, Greek yogurt and vanilla until smooth. Add to cocoa and flour mixture and slowly mix until combined.
- Scoop batter using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop; place 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until cookies are flat and surfaces begin to crack, about 15 minutes. Transfer on parchment to wire racks. Let cool 5 minutes. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.